Sunday 23 September 2012

Check in or Code out


This week we were asked to investigate foursquare and QR codes as social media platforms and give insight into the single biggest learning.

Here’s the breakdown:

Foursquare is an app that helps you share, track and save locations you habituate by “checking in.” When tracking all your locations about town, foursquare will recommend certain venues i.e stores, coffee shops or restaurants based on your previous recommendations. This platform also let’s your friends see where you have visited and review your recommendations. Users can earn badges, special promotions and discounts based on how frequently they visit specific venues. According to Foursquare.com, as of September 2012 over 25 million users are “checking in” everyday, worldwide.

I have never been a fan of foursquare prior to this week. I couldn’t understand the purpose of letting the whole world know where I was every moment of the day.  After some timely research and “checking in,“ I can see the advantages for small business owners establishing an online community while using this app.  What it comes down to is free advertising. Get your most loyal customers to convince their friends that checking into your business is worth their time. The incentive program is no different then a stamp card for patrons. 



QR barcodes is a matrix code readable by scanners on your smartphone through your camera. Thus you can upload any information to your phone just by scanning a products QR code.

The first time I came across a QR barcode, I was completely dumbfounded. While visiting the Tim Burton Exhibit at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, the curator informed me that if I had a smartphone, I could access the same information as the $5 audio tour, only for free. With just a click of a button, I could scan the code next to each individual artwork and the audible information would download onto my phone to listen at my own discretion.  Imagine having access to all that information just by scanning a tiny barcode? Two years later, I’m daily user of my own personal QR code. When ordering my morning coffee, a lovely barista at Dark Horse Espresso scans my barcode and knows that I only use lactose free milk in my beverage. As well, every time it’s scanned, I collect points. Since the beginning of August I’ve earned 227 points (don’t judge, I’m a caffeine addict.)



I think the major difference between foursquare and QR barcodes is that one application focus’ more on advertising vs. providing immediate access to information. Both have their perks and rewards but are equally important to businesses looking to establish an online social identity.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've found two amazing uses for QR codes. The Tim Burton exhibit example is amazing - I wish more museums had that!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete